Access leading legal scholars in policy and research, attend in-depth seminars and conferences/symposia by renowned experts, and learn from respected practitioners. We work hard to help our students feel welcome and valued for their unique skills and perspectives. Click on Copy Course and you’re all set to share your course with students. Understanding where you are in the procedural history of a case can help you better understand its disposition.
- Jurimetrics is the formal application of quantitative methods, especially probability and statistics, to legal questions.
- Examples include the Jewish Halakha and Islamic Sharia—both of which translate as the “path to follow”—while Christian canon law also survives in some church communities.
- She earned her Bachelor of Law from Universitas Gadjah Mada, Master of Law from Universitas Gadjah Mada, Doctor of Law from Universitas Pelita Harapan.
- The head of state is apart from the executive, and symbolically enacts laws and acts as representative of the nation.
- His research has appeared in the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Northwestern University Law Review, Boston University Law Review and the Michigan Law Review, among others.
At first, equity was often criticised as erratic, that it varied according to the length of the Chancellor’s foot. Over time, courts of equity Law News developed solid principles, especially under Lord Eldon. In the 19th century in England, and in 1937 in the U.S., the two systems were merged.
News, Media & Events
Professor Jiang is a scholar of the regulation of financial technology, generally known as FinTech, and of law and technology more broadly. She studies how new technologies have outpaced regulation and legal doctrine, including various ways new technologies challenge existing conceptions of law and regulation. Master of Comparative Law Strengthen your existing law credentials.
He earned his Bachelor of Law from Universitas Diponegoro and doctoral degree in Law from Universitas Gadjah Mada. She teaches Introduction to Indonesian Law; Commercial Law; Employment Law courses. She earned her Bachelor of Law from Universitas Pelita Harapan and Master of Law from Universitas Indonesia. She teaches Criminal Law; Civil Law; Civil Procedure Law courses. She earned her Bachelor of Law from Universitas Gadjah Mada, Master of Law from Universitas Gadjah Mada, Doctor of Law from Universitas Pelita Harapan. Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article.
Meaning of law in English
In China and other developing countries there are not sufficient professionally trained people to staff the existing judicial systems, and, accordingly, formal standards are more relaxed. Max Weber and others reshaped thinking on the extension of state. Modern military, policing and bureaucratic power over ordinary citizens’ daily lives pose special problems for accountability that earlier writers such as Locke or Montesquieu could not have foreseen. The custom and practice of the legal profession is an important part of people’s access to justice, whilst civil society is a term used to refer to the social institutions, communities and partnerships that form law’s political basis.